- Diet starting weight: 304
- Week starting weight: 289
- Today's weight: 288
- Week weight loss: 1 lb
- Total weight lost: 16 lbs
These weekly updated are getting a little repetitive with a little loss here and a little loss there but trust me I am not complaining – this is how it should be. I am happy to report another weekly loss in my Countdown to Vegas challenge. I have lost a total of 16 pounds in the last 10 weeks, and I have posted a loss in 9 out of the 10 weeks.
When I report my weight I actually truncate the decimals off which sometimes works in my favor (295.8 becomes 295 – hey, I shaved off almost a pound by using simple math!) and sometimes, like today, makes me oh so tantalizingly close as I weighed in at exactly 288.0 pounds. Because 288 gave me a one pound loss for the week I took it as-is, but I would be lying if I said I would do the same thing if it had said 289.0, meaning no loss for the week. I would have put in some time on the elliptical or (ahem) worked it on the the throne to drop that extra .2 pound (my scale works in increments of .2).
Is this wrong or cheating in some way? Not by my way of thinking. One of the reasons I gain weight is that I stop thinking about what I am doing. No matter how you feel about me saying I would get in some exercise just to be able to record a slightly lower weight, you have to like the idea that I am exercising. Thinking about fitness and writing about fitness is a key element to my weight loss plan and I am going to stick with it. Even if it means a little extra exercising or waiting for a #2 to get the official weight recorded for the week. I doubt that I am alone there.
Things I did well this week:
- Repeated my mantra "Vegas, baby, Vegas" numerous times every day, which helped keep me focused on making better decisions
- Drank a lot of water every day – although I have found it's harder to do after work
- Very few eating slip-ups
- I exercised in a hotel gym
Things I did not so well this week:
- Sure, I exercised in a hotel gym but it was a lousy 30 minutes on a treadmill – I should have done better as I was there for two days
- No other exercise either, no walks, no dog park, no time on my new elliptical. Not a good habit to get into.
- One fast food slip-up, and it was bad – this week it was White Castle. Four sliders with cheese, a fry, a fish sandwich and a chicken sandwich. Just terrible
I am not kidding myself – I know that I am at the easy part right now where because I am as fat as I am I can have success by simply eating less. I need to eat less and better and be more consistent about it but I also really need to get on the exercise train.
It is really important that I have a good week this week and there is no reason why I can't as I won't be doing any traveling and have no significant after-work plans. Why so important? Because next week I'll be traveling to Chicago where I already have group lunch and dinner plans for two nights, and I know that it is going to be very hard for me to stay on the path….
What am I saying? Am I saying that it's important for me to have a great week this week because I am expecting to gain weight next week? That isn't the right thinking. Let me correct myself – I know I have no reason why I can't have a great week this week and I'm going to be shooting for losing more than a pound. I'll worry about next week, next week. But I will tell you right now I plan to lose a pound that week too!
Nine losses in ten weeks – a promising start to my goal of losing 40 pounds by June 30th, 2011.