Coffee CakeBy Eatouteatin
3 large eggs, beaten
6oz Doves Farm gluten free self raising flour
15ml strong coffee
Mixed chopped nuts
1. Cream together the butter and sugar - ideally until pale.
2. Mix in the beaten eggs, a little at a time, adding a tablespoon of flour if it curdles.
3. Sieve in the flour and stir through gently.
4. Add enough of the coffee to get the flavour balance. I found this to be around 15ml.
5. Divide into 2 cake tins (I used silicone cake tins - just as I'm too lazy to grease the metal tins) and bake for 20-25 mins at 180C or until evenly cooked. Test with a metal skewer - if it comes out clean, the cake is ready, if not cook for a further 5 mins.
Combine enough butter, icing sugar and coffee, tasting as you go to make the amount of icing you need. Spread between the cake layers and over the top and decorate with the chopped nuts.
The icing measurements are intentionally vague, it depends how sweet your tooth is so to speak, and how thick you want your icing. I was actually far more stingy than I have been previously, as eating mainly icing is a bit much!
The cake turned out surprisingly light and moist. I was expecting it to be rather dry as some gluten free baked goods can be. We didn't keep the cake for long enough really to see how stale and dry it got, as it was just so lovely! After about 3 days, it clearly was still edible!
These articles might interest you :
It's almost May, which means that it's one of my least/most favorite times of the year: time to plan summer leave. Summer is a tricky time in the foreign... Read more5 hours, 17 minutes ago by Sherwoods
Awesome, Blake Shelton, Brad Paisley, Country Thunder Festival, Dallas Smith, High Valley, Old Dominion, Terri Clark, The Road Hammers, The Washboard Union,... Read more6 hours, 11 minutes ago by Phjoshua
LIFESTYLE, SELF EXPRESSION
Arbroath 3-2 Elgin CitySPFL - League 2Saturday 29th April 2017Arbroath is a former royal burgh and the largest town in Angus, on the North Sea coast of Scotland. Read more6 hours, 41 minutes ago by Smidrophenia
It’s a whole new world out there in the workplace. Millennials want work that matters, and don’t care for hierarchies. Boomers are coming back to work, but... Read more7 hours, 15 minutes ago by Martin Zwilling
***Editor’s Note: On Friday night work got in the way of my being able to attend the Kingston stop for Dean Brody’s Beautiful The post Celebrity Review: Dean... Read more7 hours, 27 minutes ago by Hendrik Pape
ENTERTAINMENT, MEDIA, MUSIC
Now Bahubali-2 is making good amount commercially throughout the world, the leading actor Bahubali Prabhas has become a shining sensation among cinema lovers.... Read more7 hours, 35 minutes ago by Ritu Pandit
Following up on last month, April's entry into the class of 1987: Prince's stupendous Sign o' the Times.Did I buy this album as soon as it hit the stores? Read more7 hours, 45 minutes ago by Russellarbenfox
MOST POPULAR FROM FOOD & DRINK
- MUTABBAQ (MURTABAK) RECIPE by Treatntrick
- Main Sail ISA – Bowen Island Brewing by Mike
- Treat Petite April - Round Up by Bakingexplorer
- Dutch Baby Pancake by Mariealicerayner
MOST RECOMMENDED IN FOOD & DRINK
- Where do pilots sleep during long haul flights? by Kash Pals
- Barfly’s | AMAZING PIZZA ALERT by Slowdownandsavor
- Easy Pour-Mix-and-Cook Buttermilk Waffles (can be made with eggless too!!!) by Zoebakeforhappykids
- No-Bake Strawberry Shortcake Bars by Rachel Conners