1) Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier- 80M Weekend, 80M Total
The first Captain America had a summer release date and opened to 65M. This was, of course, pre-Avengers, and Captain America is now a slightly hotter property. That being said, the first Captain America film didn’t even break 200M at the box office, so don’t look for a 100M opening weekend. There is some growth to be had here, for sure, and perhaps even a larger first weekend audience from the original viewers. There also isn’t much competition, and no other wide releases this weekend to contend with.
2) Noah- 26M Weekend, 77M Total
Noah has been well reviewed, and accepted by audiences. It won’t dip 50%, probably around 40%, and should easily finish 2nd for the weekend.
3) Divergent- 14M Weekend, 112M Total
Another drop of about 50% is in store for the YA actioner.
4) Muppets Most Wanted- 7.5M Weekend, 43M Total
No new kids flicks, so Muppets Most Wanted should dip another 35% to about 7.5M this weekend.
5) Mr Peabody and Sherman- 7M Weekend, 105M Total
The Dreamworks duo dipped only 23% last weekend. Another small decline could put Peabody in striking distance of Muppets.
6) God’s Not Dead- 6.5M Weekend, 31M Total
God’s Not Dead had a small decline last weekend, but also added almost 400 screens, so that helped a lot. Barring another expansion, God’s Not Dead.
7) The Grand Budapest Hotel- 6M Weekend, 34M Total
Without another grand expansion, the Hotel might finally see a little decline.
8) Need For Speed- 2.5M Weekend, 42M Total
9) Sabotage- 2M Weekend, 8M Total
10) 300: Rise Of An Empire- 2M Weekend, 104M Total