Next weekend artists in the Northeast Minneapolis Arts District open their studios for their annual Art-A-Whirl spring art crawl. With over 700 artists in 14 square miles and more than 10 studio buildings, this area is a working artists district at the heart of the Minneapolis arts scene.
Art-A-Whirl is a great opportunity to gain free admission into the working studios of artists working in nearly every medium... including potters, tile makers, painters, sculptors, musicians, photographers, glass blowers, printmakers, and textile designers. They showcase their art in warehouses, galleries, homes, storefronts and cafes.
Highest concentrations of artists are in three buildings...
- Northrup King Building (150 artists) - 1500 Jackson Street NE 55413
- Casket Arts Building (100 artists) - 1700 Madison Street 55413
- California Building (80 artists) - 2205 California Street NE 55418
Dates and times for Art-A-Whirl 2011 are below. Trolleys will run between the major buildings Friday 5-8 and Saturday-Sunday 12-5.
- FRIDAY, May 20th - 5:00-10:00 p.m.
- SATURDAY, May 21st - NOON-8:00 p.m.
- SUNDAY, May 22nd - NOON-5:00 p.m.
Northeast Minneapolis is a unique corner of the city known for its industrial and immigrant heritage. Today it is seeing a new influx from immigration, artists and a younger generation of home owners who have moved into the area for the opportunity to refurbish old homes and become a part of the Northeast neighborhood atmosphere.
Like many parts of the city, Northeast Minneapolis has distinct neighborhood segments within its larger definition including the trendy NorthEast district on the riverfront across from downtown Minneapolis with riverfront condos, restaurants and shops.
The Bottineau neighborhood is home of the Northeast Minneapolis Arts Association. Housed in the California Building, it was a former grain mill which became the first art studio building in the area. Artists started renting studio space in the 1980s as they started transitioning from the North Loop warehouse district to Northeast Minneapolis.
Sharlene Hensrud, RE/MAX Results - Email - Northeast Minneapolis Realtor
- Sunday's Site - Northrup King Building, Northeast Minneapolis
- North Loop... one of the most unique neighborhoods in the city
- Our Lady of Lourdes... oldest continuously used church in Minneapolis
- Sunday's Site - Punch Neapolitan Pizza, Northeast Minneapolis
- Sunday's Site - Nicollet Island
- Sunday's Site - Minneapolis Riverfront, St. Anthony Main