This was on Reuters‘ web site this morning:
(Reuters) – Apple Inc (AAPL.O) held discussions in recent months about possibly investing hundreds of millions of dollars in Twitter to gain a social networking presence, the New York Times on Friday, cited people briefed on the matter as saying.
The iPhone and iPad maker, which has never delved deeply into a social media space dominated by Facebook Inc (FB.O), at one point considered an investment that would have valued the microblogging service at $10 billion but the two were not in negotiations now, the newspaper reported.
Apple declined comment. Twitter did not respond to requests for comment on the deal, which the newspaper said might presage closer ties between the two.
Let’s keep an eye on this. It could be a big deal.
- CHART OF THE DAY: Where Apple’s Revenue Comes From (AAPL) (businessinsider.com)
- IT’S OFFICIAL: Apple Will Release Mountain Lion Tomorrow (AAPL) (businessinsider.com)
- Why Apple Should Grab Twitter (ritholtz.com)
- OS X Mountain Lion: The best features (and everything else you need to know) – msnbc.com (gadgetbox.msnbc.msn.com)
- Apple In a Relationship with Facebook? Its Complicated. (cultofmac.com)