American Idol--Rock & Roll HOF Week & A Drive With DadPosted on the 07 April 2011 by Thefriskyvirgin
My top picks of the night:
* Scotty, singing That's Alright, Mama, by Elvis. Honestly, this kid brought it tonight. Little country boy can sing Elvis! I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Scotty will be huge in Nashville. I have no doubt someone is just waiting to sign him up.
* Casey, singing Have You Ever Seen the Rain?, by Creedence Clearwater Revival. One of my favorites of the night. Playing the stand-up bass, Casey delivered a smooth, relaxing rendition of this classic song.
* Pia, singing River Deep, Mountain High, by Tina Turner. Pia finally turned up the tempo, and it worked. Vocally, she was strong, but she didn't appear as comfortable singing up-tempo as she does performing a ballad. Still, she has the complete package.
* James, singing While My Guitar Gently Weeps, by The Beatles. While I missed seeing him rock it out, especially during Rock & Roll week, James really tugged on the heartstrings tonight. His emotional connection to the song came through in his performance.
Who were your favorites tonight? Who do you think may be going home?
A Drive With Dad
Not long ago, I went with my Dad to pick up some food for a BBQ he and mom were having that weekend. On the way back, he picked up some tacos at Taco Bell.
Me, watching as he flew by the main entrance to their neighborhood: "Um, Dad, why didn't you pull into the neighborhood?"
Dad: "I go in the back entrance now."
Dad, in a slight Texas drawl: "So I don't have to wave and say 'hi' to neighbors."
Me, mouth dropped: "Dad! That's awful!"
Dad, major Texas drawl coming out: "Well, hell, I wanna eat my food while it's hot, and if I go through the front, I have to smile, wave, and maybe stop and talk. They're nice and all, but when I'm hungry, being nice back takes effort. I want my gosh darn food!"
Me, laughing: "You know, one of these days you are going to have to smile and wave to someone walking along the back entrance."
Dad, smirking: "Never happens."
He's actually really laid back and personable...just not when hot food awaits him.
These articles might interest you :
Crime Fiction5*s The genealogical expert Jefferson Tayte is back! I love this series which has taken me back to historical eras I know little about while tellin... Read more12 hours, 13 minutes ago by Cleopatralovesbooks
(Photograph by Abhay Tiwari) Please, talk to me about who you were before the walls were painted blue; Tell me the bruises, the aches, and time just added... Read more13 hours, 21 minutes ago by Shantam Sahai
DIARIES, SELF EXPRESSION
13 hours, 36 minutes ago by Vickilane
I’ve moaned about it enough, so you’ll all know by know that despite having graduated last summer I’m still studying. I’ve chosen a career path which pretty muc... Read more14 hours, 36 minutes ago by Ninegrandstudent
FASHION, FOOD & DRINK, LIFESTYLE
I love Chicago. I have family there that I'm normally always looking for a way to be with. And I have friends that I don't see nearly enough. So when I first... Read more15 hours, 50 minutes ago by Eastofmidnight
Whenever I have stale bread I want to make one of two things . . . either I want to make a bread pudding, or I want to make French Toast. Today the French... Read more16 hours, 36 minutes ago by Mariealicerayner
FOOD & DRINK, RECIPES
(Image Credit) Like most things in life, exercise can be a dangerous game. It’s very easy to injure yourself while you’re exercising; if you fail to take the... Read more20 hours, 33 minutes ago by Peppertan
MOST POPULAR FROM ENTERTAINMENT
- Comic Becky Fury on what ISIS/ISIL’s beheader Jihadi John was really like by Thejohnfleming
- Skipping the Groove: The Long-Lost Art of the Complete Opera Album (Part Two) — Living the Life Operatic by Josmar16
- #2,346. Tarzan and His Mate (1934) by Dvdinfatuation
- Ralph's Top 10 Blogged Band Chart - as played on Radio KC 30.4.13 by Mike Lindley
MOST RECOMMENDED IN ENTERTAINMENT
- Denmark’s hottest post-punk export The Foreign Resort conquering Canada. by Hendrik Pape
- Barstool Prophets crank up the heat at sold out Barrymore’s by Hendrik Pape
- Mia Mackintosh by Mike Lindley
- Holding On and Letting Go of Your Children by Stephsscribe